To manage transport independently in Sri Lanka for foreigners is imperative to obtain a temporary permit for driving a car or motorbike (International Driving License). You need to visit the Department of motor traffic that located in the suburbs of Colombo: Department of motor traffic Rd, Boralesgamuwa, Sri Lanka. The mode of operation from 8.30 to 17.00, day off: Saturday, Sunday and holidays.
- Only light vehicle license can be obtained under this system.
- The foreign driving license which is valid for the conversion date(Provisional driving licenses or learner permits are not accepted)
- If the applicant is a foreign national, the applicant having valid visa for more than 06 months period are eligible for applying a Sri Lankan driving license while other having a valid visa for less than six months will only be issued with a temporary-driving license.
- If the Driving license and the passport are not in English, the English translations of those two documents, done by the relevant Embassy/Mission.
- Medical fitness certificate obtained from the National Transport Medical Institute, within a period of six months.
- The letter of acknowledgment from the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, in the event of a person in the foreign Diplomatic service.
- The passport with the National Identity Card Number on it, in the event of a Sri Lankan or a holder of dual citizenship.
Another option is to order through the website https://www.idlid.com/ International driving license.
Rent a car and happy journey!